Best Pizza in Buffalo: Did Your Place Make the Cut?

Oh-Boy!!!!! That looks good! - Photo via Bocce's!

Oh-Boy!!!!! That looks good! – Photo via Bocce’s!

I think I have a problem.

For most people, the first things they look at when moving to a new neighborhood are the quality of the schools, the taxes, and the crime rate. They probably look at how far grocery stores and parks are.

Not me.

I look at the pizza places. I wanna know what pizzerias are within a five mile radius of my potential humble abode. Oh, you’re going to sell me a mansion for $5,000? Sorry bud, the only pizza place around her is a Papa John’s; I can’t live here.

Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit. But I think you get the point, I take my pizza seriously – and I have the belly to prove it.

Buffalo pizza is truly unique. It’s not deep dish in Chicago, and it’s not thin, flat, and wide like in NYC. It’s probably not what you’re picturing in your head right now either. The truth is, authentic Buffalo pizza is getting harder to find as the years go by.

What a lot of places pass off as Buffalo pizza these days is nothing more than a pie somewhere in between Chicago and NYC style in thickness that’s covered with bland sauce and the cheapest mozzarella cheese they can find. Some places just give you a box full of grease. It’s sad, but true.

So what’s real Buffalo pizza then? In my opinion, a real Buffalo pizza should look like me after I’m done eating ribs – big, thick, heavy and covered in sweet sauce.

I got the chance to do some "research" for this article at Bocce Club Pizza.

I got the chance to do some “research” for this article at Bocce Club Pizza.

The pizza should be so heavy that you could get a bicep workout when bringing it back to your car after picking it up. You should be able to knock someone out with it. The sauce should be sweet and the pepperoni should be thick. That’s a Buffalo pizza.

One of the legendary pizzerias of Buffalo was called Martucci’s. They made pizza just like that and I was lucky enough to eat a lot of it as a kid before Joe Martucci retired.

Ok, so you’re probably wondering when the hell I’ll get to the point. So who has the best pizza in Buffalo?

I think it’s a tie. It’s a tie between two pizzerias.

Imperial Pizza in South Buffalo and Bocce Club Pizza on Bailey in Amherst. A lot of you know Imperial as the place Pat Kane used to work at, and it’s where he brought the Stanley Cup twice. Bocce Club is pretty legendary and actually started in a club where they played bocce ball. Anyway, those are the two I would pick. Both make a very similar pie, and rumor has it that they were affiliated with one another at one point (although I am not able to confirm this). They both exemplify the Buffalo style that is getting hard to find nowadays.

So in case you were wondering, I lived in South Buffalo for a while, and I cried when I had to move away from my beloved Imperial. But I lucked out in that I live close enough to Bocce Club now where I’m just at the edge of their delivery zone! Phew.

Anyway, I compiled a list of honorable mentions:

Chick-N-Pizza Works

Metro Pizza Co.

Franco’s Pizza

Mattina’s Pizzeria

La Pizza Club

Bob and John’s La Hacienda

Avenue on Genesee St. (now closed)

Picasso’s

Zahz Pizza

Maria Pizza (Angola)

So what do you think? Do you agree? Do you have any suggestions? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts. It is definitely possible that I forgot a place or two!

Advertisements

Tags: ,

30 Comments on “Best Pizza in Buffalo: Did Your Place Make the Cut?”

1. Andy "Pico's Grayson August 25, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

The best pizza in Bflo was made in the 50’s and 60’s. What you have now are just a few once famous names of once great pizzerias.

• DanM February 11, 2015 at 3:29 pm #

I agree, but have to say 60’s and 70’s as I was too young in the 50’s and lived elsewhere in the 80’s, 90’s and most of the 00’s.

2. buffalogrl25 August 25, 2014 at 5:10 pm #

Tough choices! All of those are very good, but I have a soft spot for Ricotta’s pizza out in Orchard Park! And Broadway Bobby’s in Lackawanna. Just around the corner from your beloved Imperial. 😉 Great article!

• seaninbuffalo August 25, 2014 at 6:32 pm #

I’m so glad you liked the article! I’ll have to try those places!

3. Bill Long August 26, 2014 at 7:42 am #

Great call on Bob and Johns!

4. erikwollschlager August 26, 2014 at 9:40 am #

I will have to try Broadway Bobby’s – if I can convince the family to take a night off of Imperial!

5. Ryan August 26, 2014 at 9:53 am #

Mattina’s has the worst sauce with no flavor! How could you say they are a top pizzeria? On the other hand, they do have the best steak sub in Buffalo which really flys under the radar.
    Top 3 pizzas in no order:
    La Nova
    Just Pizza
    Picassos

• kathy September 30, 2014 at 11:40 am #

You need to try Metro Pizza’s steak pizza with hot peppers. This pizza is like no other! I live in Angola and whenever I get the chance to pick up their steak pizza… I go home so so happy!A must try. Great place!

6. Joe August 26, 2014 at 11:53 am #

This list is heresy without mentioning Nino’s in West Seneca.

• Paul September 8, 2014 at 3:57 pm #

I agree 100%

7. joedrums8a August 26, 2014 at 11:54 am #

This list is heresy without mentioning Nino’s in West Seneca. If you don’t know, now you know.

8. kat August 26, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

I love Bella pizza Lackawanna so good

9. Ken August 27, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

Bocce’s used to be one of the best Pizza places in Buffalo, but ever since they started using a thicker dough, its just not the same. In my opinion, Bailey’s Pizza (formerly Avenues) located on Bailey ave has the best Pizza in BFLO, second is Leonardis. LaNova’s and Franks round up third. Back in the day a place name “Divas” located on Walden could’ve easily been a contender for number one in Buffalo.

• Triciamm November 10, 2014 at 5:24 pm #

I used to live on Connelly off of Bailey and Leonardi’s was the only pizza we would order. Miss those days.

• Triciamm November 10, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

When I moved out to Angola, Maria’s and Evangola Pizza were the best out there.

10. George September 29, 2014 at 3:57 pm #

Sweet sauce IS NOT something that should be associated with a Buffalo pizza. Also there are many good places to get pizza in buffalo, voting on just one wouldnt be fair.

11. mary September 30, 2014 at 12:41 am #

I will say marias in angola is the best place in town my all time favorite but penoras on Broadway in lancaster deserves to be mentioned too

12. Jim devole October 2, 2014 at 9:12 am #

Jo Martini is my favorite when we lived in Buffalo. St Peters Missouri now for the last 31 years can’t find a good pizza around here for nothing

13. Carrie November 2, 2014 at 2:44 pm #

I left Buffalo in 98 and have many happy memories of Friday night pizza from Bob and John’s. I secretly still compare every pizza I eat to those perfect pies.

14. Anonymous November 2, 2014 at 10:57 pm #

Leonardi’s by far is the best pizza

15. joe November 3, 2014 at 11:02 am #

40 years ago I worked downtown and used to get the best slices at Primo at Pearl and Chippewa. The neighborhood has changed a lot since then. Is Primo still there and still good?

16. Jackie November 3, 2014 at 4:28 pm #

I’m really surprised that Mr. Pizza didn’t make the list. I also love Bob and John’s, La Nova, and Just Pizza.

17. Dan February 9, 2015 at 2:53 pm #

Imperial is the best-selling in SD out Buffalo.

18. Anonymous February 9, 2015 at 8:27 pm #

im a fan of jojos pizza on abbott near mercey hospital

19. Bob February 9, 2015 at 9:54 pm #

Bocce used to be located where Imperial is now. The owner of Bocce is the landlord for Imperial’s location. Only connection. No recipes or anything are connected.

• Anonymous February 10, 2015 at 12:01 pm #

The owners of Imperial used to work at Bocces

20. Anonymous February 9, 2015 at 10:12 pm #

the last time i was in buffalo was 1999 unfortunately for my fathers funeral, sad to say no one would take me for a bocces during the snow storm. Arizona has questionable – they call it- pizza. Lived in california, not a chance. and alaska was a never !.in .new mexico i would make them with hatch green chilis ..i grew on bocces and quit trying to find one of those ‘special’ pies. if i was rich i”d have them flown out just to have my mouth water from the taste. isure do miss the old days..(but i really like arizona, keep coming back here from wherever i go.)

21. Anonymous February 11, 2015 at 10:25 am #

Lovejoy pizza … ALL DAY. Best pizza hands down

22. Sol February 12, 2015 at 6:52 am #

Why is Leonardi’s not on this list? The same Pizzeria that branched off from Bocce Club Pizza. I respect the voters in the poll, but I have a soft spot for Leonardi’s Pizza. At this point, since I don’t live in the area any longer, I would gladly take any of the pizza on the list! Put Leonardi’s on this list. It’s legendary BUFFALO PIZZA!!!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks